The mission of the Boring Little Girls Club (herein known as the BLGC) is to create and foster a community of sober women, non-binary and trans folks who support each other and have fun without alcohol and recreational drugs (herein referred to as drugs)
Safer Space as inclusive and supportive of all race, sexual identity, gender, age, ability and socioeconomic standing. No space can be 100% safer to 100% of the people 100% of the time, be we do commit to giving it our best and being in a space of non-defensive learning.
Boring Little Girls Club (BLGC) is dedicated to providing a drug, alcohol, and harassment-free experience for its members, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment* of participants in any form.
We ask that all members, regardless of their identity or experience with substances be mindful of the following points:
- Respect all members’ names, pronouns and accessibility needs.
- Be mindful of language and glorification around sex, abuse, substance use and addiction, and add do your best to add content warnings when sharing on potentially triggering topics.
- Honour and make space for the lived experiences of the most vulnerable in the group** there is no wrong way to be sober, be mindful of the space you may be taking up in a conversation, and know that it is ok to make mistakes.
- If you do make a mistake, apologize, correct, and move forward with the commitment to incorporate what you have learned into your everyday life.
Those who are unwilling to follow our Safer Space Guidelines will be asked to reconsider their involvement in the BLGC community.
● Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability or ability, mental illness, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
● Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drug or alcohol use, recovery and employment.
● Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
● Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate or without a content warning.
● Non-consensual physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention.
● Threats of violence and intimidation.
● Stalking or following.
● Sustained disruption of discussion.
● Not respecting people’s comfort leaves in terms of their anonymity/privacy, including their “sober status”, gender identity, sexual orientation, experiences with abuse, etc
● Online harassment in private communication
** BLGC believes in impact over intent. We prioritize the safety and experiences of those who occupy marginalized identities. The BLGC RESPONSE TEAM reserves the right not to act on complaints regarding:
● ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’.
● Reasonable communication of boundaries.
● Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial (attempt at tone policing).
If you are called in/out, the BLGC invites you to take the opportunity to learn and grow into a stronger, more supportive member of our community.
*** Additional information on reporting and accountability
If you are being harassed by a member of BLGC, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the RESPONSE TEAM at email@example.com. If the person who is harassing you is on the team, they will not be involved with handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
These Safer Space Guidelines apply to BLGC spaces, but if you are experiencing harassment or abuse outside of our group, we can support you in accessing the appropriate resources.
Any BLGC community member asked to stop harassing behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, RESPONSE TEAM may take any action they deem appropriate.
Those who cannot or will not adhere to our Safer Space Guidelines will be asked to reconsider their membership and potentially their involvement with any BLGC events.
Some BLGC spaces and events may have additional guidelines in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these guidelines.
Credit Geek Feminism Wiki for base Safer Spaces template